Makes and Bakes: Lemon and Poppy Seed Muffins


Yey! Baking!

;D

So aaaaaages ago (or at least it feels like it now) I did a little update to the Earl Grey muffins I made here, by adding in everyones favourite - LEMON!

I seriously can barely start my day without a hot drink from Costa and one of their Lemon and Poppy Seed muffins! They're the best! with gooey lemon curd in the middle... oh man! So a while back I tried to recreate my own, and was actually very pleasantly surprised with the results!

Now - I love to bake, but I am so not one of these awesome natural bakers who just like, know what ingredients will do what - add a little of this, that and poof! amazing results from scratch! Nope, I am a 'follow the recipe to a T' kind of gal. So for me to just go with it, and add lemon, with no clear instruction of how and when!? well thats just crazy talk right there! But ever we are people.....


Heres the how to!


Ingredients:


6 Earl Grey Tea bags (optional)
250ml milk

375g self-raising flour
155g caster sugar
1 tbsp poppy seeds
125g butter or marg, melted
2 eggs, lightly whisked
rind and juice of 2 lemons
Pinch of baking soda (optional)
lemon curd (optional)

2 tbsp of fondant icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line your muffin/cupcake tin with liners.
If you want to add Earl Grey to the mix too - which I kiiinda did by accident, because I was soooort of following the recipe too much, then remembered I was going to add lemon too, but they actually turn out great with ALL the tea, lemon and seeds anyway, as Earl Grey is quite zesty ;D then warm the milk until it is nearly boiling in a small saucepan, then add tea bags set aside to infuse and cool. If you choose not to add tea, you do not need to warm the milk.
Place sifted flour, caster sugar, lemon rind and poppy seeds in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine. Add milk mixture (warm with tea, or cool without tea), butter, eggs and lemon juice and use a whisk to gently combine until smooth. I then added a pinch of baking soda, just to give them a helping hand in rising super big!
Spoon mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out clean. Try your best not to over-bake them as it will dry them out.

Remove muffins from the oven, remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. 
You can add the lemon curd while they are still warm, but actually I have made a few batches of these now and found its best to be patient and let the muffins completely cool. I used by super cool Cupcake Corer to scoop out the middle of my muffins, and pipe in lemon curd. Pop the top part of your muffin core back on top, like a little hat! and place a dollop of icing on top if you like (it covers the seam of your hole nicely ;D ).
For my icing I found fondant icing to be the best, I followed the instructions on the pack but you really do not need a lot, 2 tablespoons will be enough and about a teaspoon of water and half a teaspoon of vanilla, mix it up and place on top! 

Eat them up and enjoy! The lemon inside also keeps them lovely and moist!






The original recipe is from my absolute fave food blog Raspberricupcakes!

Have a nice weekend!




     

No comments:

Post a Comment